Full-time Faculty of Information Technology (open rank)
Found in: beBee S2 AF
Instructor / Assistant / Associate Professor of
Full-time Faculty of Information Technology (open rank)
Chair of the Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics
Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics
Number of positions:
Position Announcement closing date: May 22, 2021
Founded in 2006 as a private, non-profit university, The
American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a student‐centered,
innovative institution dedicated to educating Afghanistan's next
generation of leaders. Committed to blending liberal learning and
professional preparation, AUAF currently offers four undergraduate
and two graduate degrees. We currently host 1,000 degree-seeking
The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) offers
a Bachelor Degree in Information Technology to students with a
Major in the discipline with the following concentrations:
Artificial Intelligence, Cyber Security, Data Science and Software
Engineering. The division also offers a Minor in Data Science,
Minor in Electrical Engineering and Renewable Energy, and Minor in
Mathematics. The division provides general education courses to all
AUAF students majoring other disciplines.
The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) at the
American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan (AUAF)
seeks ONE open rank full-time, non-tenure-track faculty member in
the area of Information Technology. Rank will be commensurate with
qualifications, experience, and the needs of the university.
This regular faculty appointment is a full-time,
non-tenure-track faculty position, one-year, renewable, with the
potential to be converted to a multi-year position. Teaching
responsibilities include a teaching load consisting of four
Information Technology courses. In addition to teaching and
mentoring, AUAF faculty responsibilities include scholarship and
university service. This appointment will begin in August 2021,
which is the AUAF's Fall semester. The successful applicant is
expected to reside and work in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the
Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail
specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends,
and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in
Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract
period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters,
including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising.
The contractual period extends from one week before the start of
the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which
full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teach a 12 credit load each Fall and Spring semesters,
evaluating student work and assessing student learning
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students,
acting as academic mentor.
- Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and in
- Remain active in scholarly pursuits, contributing scholarship
that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of
intellectual products that are available to internal and/or
- Participate in division and university meetings.
- Serve on ad-hoc committees when required.
- Serve on a faculty senate committee when required.
- Provide academic advising to students assigned.
- Participate in division and university service work.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the
- Service to the university includes both internal activities and
external outreach on behalf of the institution.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality,
participating in the life of the university, course coordination,
assisting in curriculum review, creating new courses, preparing
course material to be used actively in related courses,
participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity
of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and
grant-writing for the university and other service to the external
community as required by the Chair of the Division.
- Promote the philosophy, mission and vision of AUAF.
- Provide engaging, enthusiastic and student-centered teaching to
- Establish a professional classroom atmosphere that encourages
- Contribute to a collegial, collaborative and positive attitude
to the university campus.
- Understand and convey the essentials of the course discipline
that students should master.
- Maintain high academic standards while demonstrating
equitability and fairness.
- Work successfully and productively in a team environment with
- Perform the necessary duties of an instructor to ensure quality
- Establish productive and supportive communication with
- Prepare and comply with the course syllabus following the
university-approved format and course content.
- Be organized and conduct classes in accordance with the
published class schedule.
- Evaluate student progress through regularly scheduled
- Promptly return graded work to students and maintain student
- Maintain competency.
- Maintain standards of professional conduct and ethics
appropriate to the professional position and the institution.
- Any other task assigned by the Chair of the Division as
- The minimum requirement for the position is Master's degree in
any academic major related to Computer Science, Information
Technology, Image Processing and Analysis, Cybersecurity,
Networking and Data Mining with three years of progressive work
experience within any of the qualifying required fields.
- A Doctorate in Computer Science and Information Technology or a
much-related discipline is highly desirable.
- A candidate at the rank of Assistant Professor and above must
have a Ph.D. degree in Information Technology or a much-related
discipline from a reputable university, and a demonstrated ability
for research and teaching. A candidate must demonstrate excellence
or promise as a teacher, potential for continuing growth and
accomplishment in scholarly and professional activities, and
willingness to participate in governance and other service and
- Significant teaching experience in western style higher
education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Publications and/or other evidence of professional
- Experience in teaching in international, multicultural,
developing and/or post-conflict settings.
- Experience teaching in liberal arts universities, to students
- Ability to create and deliver innovative courses in Information
- Ability to teach a wide selection of courses within the
Information Technology major, from foundation to senior
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the comprehensive
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Commitment to fostering an engaging learning environment for
students in Afghanistan.
- Flexibility for teaching courses offered day, evening, and
- Instructional expertise to deliver instruction for 21st century
learners and assess student learning outcomes as appropriate to
ensure academic quality.
- Facility with a range of teaching and learning strategies to
foster active learning and student success, which contributes to
the fulfillment of the AUAF strategic goals.
- Willingness to participate in activities at the division and
Benefits and Environment
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous
benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air
transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid
international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF's 50-acre
main campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF
campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and
protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps.
Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved
locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply for this position, please send as a single PDF
document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of
teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to
of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled. Please, include AF-Int-54-2021- Full-time
Faculty of Information Technology (open rank) in the subject line
of the e-mail. Applications in languages other than English will
not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates
will be contacted. If hired, the successful applicant is expected
to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent
from the degree-granting university directly to AUAF). AUAF does
not charge recruitment fees to applicants. AUAF is an equal
opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF
follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and
employment practices. All applicants will receive equal
consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and
economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. AUAF strives to
ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and
security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within
Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF's control.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide
official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the
degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at
all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its
selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive
equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and
economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe
environments, but safety and security are to a great degree
contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside
of AUAF's control. Applicants should carefully consider and
evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.
calendar_today4 days ago
work American University of Afghanistan
Instructor / Assistant / Associate Professor of · Information Technology · Position Title: · Full-time Faculty of Inform ...
American University of Afghanistan - Afghanistan - beBee S2 AF
Job Description · This position is the Commercial Strategist for Software in the Latin America region, and is responsibl ...
Rockwell Automation - Buenos Aires - beBee S1
Work on your own terms to achieve the work-life balance you need? · Do not wait to apply after reading this description ...1000
co - Yarm - Joblookup GB Premium
Job DescriptionAre you struggling to fit a part-time job around other commitments? Maybe you have another role and need ...
Home Instead UK - Yarm - Joblookup GB Premium
Part-Time HR Coordinator · Ajilon is actively recruiting for a Part-Time HR Coordinator for a company in Durham, NC. Thi ...
Ajilon - Durham - beBee S2 AF