Chief of Staff (COS) & Director of External Affairs
Found in: beBee S2 AF
Chief of Staff (COS) & Director of External
The Chief of Staff & Director of External Affairs serves as
a key partner to American University of Afghanistan's Chief
Executive in management of the university's professional staff,
creation and implementation of strategy, and engagement with
strategic partners in the government, corporate, foundation, and
education sectors, as well as the Board of Trustees and Board of
the Friends of AUAF. Especially important aspects of the Chief of
Staff's portfolio will be oversight of internal and external
communications, marketing, and legal affairs. Additionally, the
Chief of Staff will manage daily activities of the President's
Office, maintain the President's Office budgets, and serve as a
spokesperson for the President's Office and proxy in the
President's absence. Speechwriting and written communications to
the university's internal and external communities will be
required, along with occasional international travel to represent
the university. The Chief of Staff will manage the president's
schedule and allocation of time at a strategic level, in alignment
with university goals and priorities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the President's Office budget.
- Supervise the President's Office staff as well as key personnel
- Serve as the university's Chief Communications and Marketing
officer, with oversight of media relations, advertising, branding,
and internal communications.
- Coordinate and develop university communications plans,
including policy and procedures for crisis communications, social
media, public relations, and all other aspects of
- Coordinate the President's activities with the Board of
Trustees (BoT), including collaboration with the Executive
Assistant to the BoT for scheduling and planning of Board meetings
- Stand as spokesperson for the university as needed, and act as
proxy in the President's absence (N.B. general management of the
university falls to the Vice President for Operations &
Administration when the President is off campus, while the Chief of
Staff provides continuity in the President's internal and external
engagement, activities of the President's Office, key standing
meetings, and formal responsibilities as appropriate).
- Draft and/or edit the President's public remarks, speeches, and
written communication in close coordination with the President;
provide research and background for internal and external
communications from the President's Office; maintain talking points
for key meetings and engagements.
- Liaise with legal representatives of the university and
coordinate legal affairs.
- Assist the President in strategic planning and implementation
- Synchronize university-wide activities with attention to
strategy, priorities, and goals of the university.
- Plan and oversee events hosted by the President's Office.
- Manage the President's schedule and allocation of time at a
strategic level, in alignment with university goals and
- Coordinate the President's international business travel.
- At times, accompany and/or represent the President on business
- Participate as a member of and secretary to the President's
cabinet, along with the Vice President for Operations and
Administration, the Vice President of Academic Affairs, and the
Vice President of Student and Institutional Affairs.
Required Qualification (Experience and
- MA or equivalent in one of the following fields:
Communications, Law, Education, Higher Education Administration,
Business, Public Policy, or a field related to one of these;
or BA in one of the above plus minimum of 10 years
demonstrated professional experience equivalent to the above;
or MA or equivalent in a liberal arts field of study plus
minimum of 5 years significant experience in higher education,
legal affairs, management consulting, not-for-profit
administration, or business administration.
- Experience in organizational structure and staff
- Familiarity with budgets and finance.
- Ability and availability to live for the majority of the
calendar year in Kabul, Afghanistan, under strict security
- Ability and availability to travel.
- Preferred experience in strategic planning.
- Preferred experience in higher education
administration from the perspective of at least one of the
following: executive management, academic management,
communications and marketing, management consulting, finance, board
management, or operations.
- Preferred experience in an international sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work collaboratively and adaptively in a dynamic,
often unpredictable context.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills.
- Sound personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Orientation toward mission-driven work.
- Adeptness in balancing high-altitude planning (e.g. mission and
strategy) with low-altitude problem-solving and implementation
(e.g. management and coordination).
- Cultural competency.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a developing
university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a very
comprehensive benefits package some of which are detailed
- Competitive base salary
- Post Hardship allowance (when in Afghanistan)
- Mobilization package (flights and shipping allowance)
- International health care insurance
- Visa and work permit
- Attractive R&R and leave package
- Living accommodation on AUAF campus
Afghanistan is classed as an austere environment and can be very
challenging. Applicants should expect high levels of safety and
security which will involve movement restrictions. Due to the
current COVID-19 pandemic, applicants who can perform a combination
of both remote and physical on site working MAY be considered.
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants. If you are
asked for a recruitment fee or offer employment in exchange for
money, kindly bring this to our attention using email
account ""> providing the
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at
all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its
selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive
equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and
economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe
environments, but safety and security are to a great degree
contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside
of AUAF's control. Applicants should carefully consider and
evaluate their personal safety and security in Afghanistan.
To apply, please send as a single PDF or Word (doc.) format: a
cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV), to ""> Please, include
Vacancy#: AF-Int-56-2021- Chief of Staff (COS) &
Director of External Affairs in the subject line of the
email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. This
position is open until filled. Applications in languages other than
English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
calendar_today6 days ago
work American University of Afghanistan
As a member of our core team, the Development Director proactively, strategically, and creatively advances Home Sweet Ho ...
The Rome Group - St. Louis - beBee S2 AF
Company Description · Iqarus has a proud history, extending over 40 years, of delivering fully-integrated healthcare so ...
Smartrecruiters - Kabul - beBee S2 AF
Relief Retail Store Supervisor with experience of delivering excellent customer service in a retail setting, preferably ...
AWD Recruitment Limited - Boyn Hill - Joblookup GB Premium
REFERENCE: · 9486 /39D · Our client is a prestigious investment manager with a strong track record. This is an excit ...
PER, Private Equity Recruitment - Doha - beBee S1
Grade: NOA · Publication date: 16 July 2021 · Application deadline (midnight local time): 15 August 2021 · Vacancy n ...
International Labour Organization - Kabul, AF - beBee S1